Tuesday 13 April 2010

Sepia Saturday Week 19

All on board for another jolly Sepia Saturday ride. Sepia Saturday 19 will take place on Saturday 17th April 2010. If you are new to this malarkey all you need to do is to post an old photograph and say something about it. The photograph can be one week old or 150 years old. It can be of your Aunt Nellie or Queen Victoria. It can be in luscious sepia or vibrant colour. What you say can be in prose or verse, English or Chinese or Lithuanian. You get the idea - our posts reach back to the past, they connect to times gone by. I am not saying this very well, so let me quote from one of the entries from Sepia Saturday 18. The lyrical Nana Jo (A Nana's Journey) was writing about her collection of photos and objects that belonged to her mother-in-law, Oma. I am sure many of you read her piece and the final paragraph which said :
"Now, today, handling her things, they feel like small indrawn breaths waiting to gently exhale. There is the hush of life in them. They proclaim a comforting stillness, utterly old and forever new. They are both silent and eloquent; mute and yet they speak. They beat with the pulse of Oma’s story".
To me, those words just seemed to express what Sepia Saturday is all about. So, sign up to the list now or wait until your post is up and then add the link then. Let your posts beat with the pulse of someone's story.


20 comments:

Alan Burnett said...

Here we go again. Twice around the Bay and back in time for tea.

L. D. said...

Well, I had three pictures that made a theme and here we go again. I just couldn't turn them sepia without destroying the photos quality. I will work on that, but for now I am seeing black and white all over. Photoshop should let me turn them sepia but I have to go back to the manual. I can sepia treat color photos but the b and w won't work.

Kat Mortensen said...

I'm just happy I figured out the usb port is at the front of my CPU (it's a new desktop computer) so now, when I scan an image I don't have to get down on my hands and knees to plug it in under the desk at the back (yes! I've actually been doing that and let me tell you, you feel your age when you try to scrunch up in a ball under a desk.)

Kat

Nana Jo said...

Thanks, Alan. I'm very honoured. My old photographs have been packed ready for the big move, so I'm going to have to go on a bit of a forage to find something for this Saturday.

Kat, if I attempted to scrunch up into a ball, I don't think I'd ever get up again!

Anonymous said...

No scrunch for me either. I love this project. I have my blog printed into a book every 6 months and that is why I love this idea. Blessings
QMM

Christine H. said...

I think I'm still catching up with Sepia Saturday from two weeks ago, but couldn't pass it up this time.

P.S. Could you please tell word verification to be more polite I'm quite sure that 'linglysp' means something rude.

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

Anyone for a cup of tea, hot that is with milk and sugar and don't forget the saucer.
Will take a slice of damper with that and omit the jam for vegemite please....isn't it lovely to reminisce! thank you for allowing me to sit a while.
God bless all!

Nana Jo said...

I can't wait to read all your posts. These are the remnants of our mortality, and I am thankful for them ... yours and mine.

kylie said...

sepia saturday seems just the thing for me today, i guess i'm feeling reflective

cheers

The Silver Fox said...

I'm going to try like heck to post Part Two of "The Elusive Grammy Josephine" today, or maybe tonight. Wish me luck. As soon as I do, I'll provide the link to the post.

The Silver Fox said...

Aw, who needs sleep?!? I finished it.

Delwyn said...

Hi sepia friends

it is very nice to join you tonight

happy days

Barry said...

Getting to the end of my examination of the lives of family members in that old 1890 portrait. Only my grandfather to go today and my great grandmother next week.

Vicki Lane said...

Lane Brothers Dairy talk today from me.

Unknown said...

Hope I'm not too late! Have been discombobulated blog-wise of late!

Unknown said...

Oh I read Nana Jo's words and am so happy you adopted them here for Sepia Sat....brilliant!

Enchanted Oak said...

I felt like telling the tale of how my father met my mother here.

Kat Mortensen said...

I'm with John—discombobulated in the extreme!
(Just a short one this week - I may take some time to get to everyone, but I will eventually.)

Kat

neetzy said...

Missed posting this week. I'll still try to get around to everyone. I'll be in New York next Saturday. Am I allowed to post early? This is a very fun and worthwhile activity!

Meri said...

Alan, I've prepared by Sepia Saturday post for this coming Saturday. It'll post early in the morning US West Coast time. Unfortunately, I probably won't have computer access to link it since I'll be at a writing retreat, but know that it's there. Thanks for hosting!